Save With These Effective, Easy-to- Make Beauty Products
Instead of spending upwards of $100 on beauty products every month, consider using these ingredients from your kitchen and bathroom cupboard. You’ll save money while investing in self-care!
- At-Home Hair Mask: Looking to restore your hair’s moisture without paying salon prices? Apply mayonnaise (yes, mayonnaise) on damp, clean hair and allow it to sit under a shower cap for 15-30 minutes. Wash out with a gentle shampoo. Repeat once a month or more as needed.
- Give Yourself a Hand: Make your own hand and body lotion. Combine ¼ cup coconut oil, 1/8 cup shea butter, 1/8 cup cocoa butter, and 1 tablespoon aloe vera juice, along with 1 tablespoon of a liquid oil, like jojoba or vitamin E. You can add an essential oil for scent, like rose, lavender, or sandalwood.
- Save on Facials: Have acne-prone skin? Apply Manuka honey, which has antibacterial properties. Dry skin? Make a mask by combining 2 parts plain, sugar-free yogurt with 2 parts pureed cucumber, 2 parts oatmeal, and 1 part chopped sage. If you have oily skin, combine equal parts egg whites, honey, and oatmeal to gently moisturize and soothe your face.
- Kiss Costs Goodbye: Instead of dishing out extra dough for plumping glosses and lipsticks, add peppermint oil under any lip color to get the same effect, naturally!
- DIY Toner: Restore your skin’s natural pH by combining one part raw organic apple cider vinegar with two parts filtered water. Apply with a cotton ball.
In addition to saving yourself valuable funds, you’ll also be reducing your exposure to parabens and phthalates, which are currently being researched for their potential link to cancers and infertility.